Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff

Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff
My soul mate, Jeff, and Katie, Colton and Conner, the three gifts from God that call me "Mom"

Friday, January 13, 2012

Snow Days!!

Snow Days!  You gotta love 'em!  As a child, they were my favorite part of winter!  The excitement among the children would begin building as an approaching front headed toward Nashville!  The hallways at school would be buzzing with the rumors that it was "already snowing in Memphis", and that "Metro" (our public school system) was being dismissed early.  I'm sure the teachers had a difficult time containing us in all the chaos of our perceived impending blizzards!

It seems as if we had a lot more snow back in those days. I remember in 1975, we missed almost a month of school due to snow and ice.  (We ended up having to go longer days; some Saturday; and until mid-June!)  The thoughts of snow days were seen in several different ways in my childhood home.  My mother, a payroll accountant for Bell South, NEVER had a snow day.  Payroll and bills had to be paid regardless of the weather.  She dreaded any mention of snow because she did not drive in it--at all.  If snow occurred, my father would have to drive her to and from her job in Green Hills, about twenty miles from our house.  My father, a contractor, had houses to frame and workers to pay.  Snow and hard wintery weather meant loss of hours and manpower.  But he had the same love and excitement as me!  He didn't seem to mind the missed work and wages. 

I remember sitting in our kitchen, watching our old black and white television to see if "Snowbird" would be flying!  I remember the music and the sounds on the newscast that alerted me that school would be closed!  I remember the excitement in my stomach when my school closing was announced!  Woo! Hoo! 

So, the arrival of snow ushered in a ritualistic family adventure!   My memories are so vivid!  Daddy warming up his old truck.  All three of us piling into the seat--covered up with quilts and afghans--as we began the tedious drive, taking Mother to work.  We would leave before sunrise in order to avoid all the crazy snow drivers, and the darkness only added to the excitement.  Daddy always wore a khaki colored jumpsuit with a wool cap with ear flaps.  I always thought he looked so funny!  Mom would have on the most ridiculous looking snow boots with a scarf around her hair.  And me--I would still have on my flannel pajamas under neath my coat!  I'm sure we were a sight!  The only thing missing was a team of sled dogs, and we would have assumed the role of a perfect Arctic family!  The roads were always icy, and we would slip and slide all the way.  I remember Daddy's right arm instinctively coming across me during several tense moments because we never wore seat belts.  It really was a different time!

After depositing my mother at work, Daddy and I would begin our long journey home.  However, there was always a detour!  Our snow days included a trip to Krispy Kreme for donuts!  We would shuffle in and sit at the counter.  (Yes, me in my pj's!)  A warm cup of coffee for Daddy, and hot chocolate for me!  I can still feel the warmth from that cocoa and the knowledge that I was my Daddy's little girl!  That feeling warmed me to my toes then, and today, still warms my heart!

The rest of the day was ours!  Snowball fights!  Snowmen and snow angels.  Sledding up and down our huge hill!  Walking to my grandparents house for lunch--complete with snow cream!  My grandfather joining us in sledding, and my grandmother watching and waving from the porch.  An afternoon nap for me at their house, while Daddy went back across town to get my mother.  My grandmother fixing supper for all of us--complete with a piping hot pan of her famous cornbread!  The perfect ending to a perfect day!    

Those are the snow days of my childhood.  Of course, our family has created many new snow day rituals.  A massive run on Kroger with any possibility of snow!  Sledding, sledding and more sledding.  Snowball fights!  Snowmen and snow angels.  Marshmallows roasting while warming up by the fire.  Cookies and hot chocolate.  Jigsaw puzzles, games and movies.  There is still much excitement in the Sweet house over snow days!

So, today, as we celebrate our first snow day of the season here in Nashville, I am smiling.  As a teacher, I realize I am now a day behind on my lesson plans.  We will have much to do next week in order to cover what we missed today.  But that's okay!  We got a snow day!  Woo! Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment