Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff

Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff
My soul mate, Jeff, and Katie, Colton and Conner, the three gifts from God that call me "Mom"

Saturday, March 2, 2013

A Lesson on Lostness -- Part 2

Have you ever lost something?  Probably most of us have at some time or other.  I absolutely HATE misplacing anything!  "It" will just eat at me until I clean out, clear out, and contemplate on every possible place the lost "it" could be!  I rarely settle on the thought that "it" is just gone, never to be again seen.  Rather, I usually just diligently search until "it" is found, at last!  I so enjoy that "ah-ha" moment when "it" is back in my possession--until I misplace it again!

Jesus demonstrates such a lostness in Luke 15 with the "Parable of the Lost Coin."  He explains that a woman had ten coins, which must have been very dear to her.  One of the coins becomes lost, and the woman frantically looks for it.   She lights a lamp to look into every crack and crevice of her home.  She sweeps the floor.  When the lost coin is found, she rejoices.  She calls her friends and neighbors to rejoice with her because she has found something so very special in her life.

Today, we think of coins as almost trivial.  We find them on floors and between couch cushions.  I regularly find them in my washer, and I usually consider that my tip!  We don't have a lot of information about the woman in the parable.  We can presume any number of scenarios about her life.  Regardless, these coins are of utmost importance to her.  She does not consider the fact that she still has nine coins, and perhaps, the other one is just not important.  She does not consider not looking for it.  She must have felt that nagging feeling in the pit of her stomach until the lost coin was found.  Once found, she doesn't just sigh, and silently feel the weight off of her shoulders.  She cannot contain her happiness, and she shares it with others important in her life.

Several years ago, our family was enjoying a beautiful fall day on Daytona Beach.  Our children were young, and we had packed a trunk full of water toys, buckets, boogie boards and noodles.  Indeed, we were a spectacle with all of our gear!  Luckily, cars are allowed on the beach, so we didn't have to walk too far!  After several hours of play, we took a time out for an ice cream bought from a food truck that travels up and down the beach.  Following our snack, Jeff announced that he would like a nap.  I took the children a little way down the beach to throw a ball.  Conner was about six at this time.  He decided that he wanted his boogie board, so watched as he went back to Jeff to get it.  As I watch him, a car passed by us, and it hid my view of Conner momentarily.  Within those few seconds, he was out of my sight and GONE.  As I tried to adjust my eyes, I saw Jeff lying on the beach towel.  I saw Conner's board.  I saw all of our stuff, but NO Conner.

My heart physically seemed to leap in my chest.  Katie, Colton and I rushed to Jeff, hoping he had seen Conner.  He was asleep.  By this time, I was crying and screaming for Conner.  The people around us immediately saw our distress, and they offered assistance.  Within a few minutes, a little search party was desperately looking for my little boy.  The life guard was notified, and a beach police patrol arrived quickly.  There was absolutely no sight of Conner, and my imagination was running wild.  Could someone have nabbed him?  Could he have been taken in a car?  Could he have gotten in the water?  This was my worst nightmare!

The beach patrol officer advised Jeff and the children to wait at our beach spot in case Conner returned.  The officer took me in the beach truck to drive up and down the beach looking for him.  He radioed in a missing child alert, and I went into a total melt down upon hearing that.  My mind raced.  How would I ever leave this beach without my child?  How would I ever forgive myself for losing my child?  How would I ever explain to Katie and Colton that Conner was gone?

I have never felt such a feeling of utter helplessness in that crowd of beach goers that day.  Everyone looked at me with such pity, and my heart felt as if it would break.  Thirty minutes had passed, and I felt as if I were going to be sick.  I felt as if I were going to faint.  This just could not be happening.  I could not lose something so dear to me.  Yes, I had two other wonderful children; but I longed for my baby--the one that was lost.  I cried out for God to please let us find him.  Please let me find my lost boy.

A call came in on the radio.  Conner had been found almost two miles up the beach.  How had he gotten so far away so quickly?  Was he alright?  The police officer assured me that a life guard had him, and Conner seemed to be fine.  As we drove up, I will never forget the feeling I had when I saw my little boy sitting on the life guard stand looking left and right for me.  I will never forget jumping out of that truck and running to him.  I will never forget holding him and hugging him until he told me I was squashing him!  I never wanted to let go of him again--and I didn't for about two days!  I remember the drive back to Jeff and the children.  I remember Conner telling me that he was trying to find us by following the ice cream truck tracks up the beach.  I remember him looking up and taking my chin in his little hands, explaining that he did the right thing.  He was a big boy.  He had gone to the lifeguard for help.  I remember the cheers of strangers when Conner ran to his Daddy.  I remember Jeff scooping him up into his arms.  Such joy.  Such peace.  Such relief. 

God actively searches for us when we stray from Him.  He does not consider that we are only "one," and that He has plenty other children.  He knows me well.  He knows you well.  He wants to be with us at all times, so that we are not lost.  We are not alone.  We are not without Him.   A Father's love for His children is shown through His desire for all of us to be found. 

Something so dear.  Something so lost.  Something so special.  Something found.  Something so precious, that once found,  joy can not be contained.  That's how important we are to God.  God will do more than light a lamp or sweep the floor to find a lost coin.  God will do more than search the beach or jump from a beach patrol truck to run to His child.   God will come to you wherever you are; whatever time; whatever situation.  God knows.  God understands.  God forgives.  God wants you with Him today -- and for eternity.

In the words of a beautiful song -  How deep the Father's love for us--How vast beyond all measure!

Thank you God, for being such an attentive and loving Father to your children!


No comments:

Post a Comment