Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff

Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff
My soul mate, Jeff, and Katie, Colton and Conner, the three gifts from God that call me "Mom"

Monday, June 16, 2014

50 years – ANTIQUE? Not quite!


Today, as I approach a big birthday milestone, in my mind, I don’t feel old.  My kids have teased me that turning 50 makes me an antique.  According to the true definition of antique, they are mistaken!  By definition, an antique is an object that represents a previous era or time period in human society. It is common practice to define antique as applying to objects at least 100 years old. Antiques are usually objects that show some degree of craftsmanship—or a certain attention to design, such as a desk or an early automobile.  While I will admit, that I do show some degree of craftsmanship, I will gladly pass on the label of “antique” for a few more years! 

There have been numerous changes in our country, family life, and technology during the last fifty years. Miranda Lambert has a current song called Automatic.  Her lyrics refer to Sun Tea in the window; clothes drying on a line; cassette tapes recording the country countdown; crank windows in cars; and quarter pay phones.  These are things about which our kids today would have little knowledge.  Those are things of MY generation.  I remember my parents and grandparents talking about simpler times of their generations.  I always enjoyed hearing their stories of a simpler and less busy time.  Now I have my own stories that I’m sure my kids tire of hearing!  Oh, well, I’m going to tell them anyway!  I’m almost 50!  I’ve earned it! 

Turning 50 is a time for celebration of the past and contemplation of the future.  I remember each decade with fondness.  My first decade was one of innocence and play.  Days of summer lingered forever!  Running barefoot all day, and my mother scrubbing the dirt off my feet in my evening bath!  Afternoons filled with chocolate chip cookies and cornbread baking in my Granny’s oven.  Laughter and silliness defined playtime with my cousins.  Sweet times in Daddy’s lap on the riding lawn mower, and his legendary tickle-fests are forever etched in my mind.  Cloudy memories of the loss of two grandparents and beloved pets were the only indications that “growing up” might not be all it was cracked up to be. 

School memories and friends ushered in my second decade!  Fun times and frolics quickly packed days of school and nights of slumber parties, movies, phone calls (for hours!) , cars and concerts!  Time seemed to stand still, and time seemed to run away.  High school graduation came before I knew it, and college was on the horizon.  I was reminded that life is short with the loss of friends taken too young.  I lost my sweet grandmother and my daddy during this decade.  Yes, I was growing up, and at many times, I just didn’t really want to.

The 20’s arrived with a new young man in my life that would end up being my very best friend, my husband, and the father of my children!  Graduation from college, marriage, the loss of my grandfather Carvell, and the birth of my sweet Katie – all would be part of a very busy time in my life!   We purchased our first home in Madison, and it seemed like life couldn’t get any better!  

Colton and Conner entered my life during my 30’s, and life became sweeter than ever! Days of playtime, pool time, and potty time took up much of this decade!  Being a mommy was indeed my very favorite part of this time in my life!  I experienced love for these children like I had never imagined.  My precious husband and family were such gifts, and I thanked God for them!  Trips and travel made sweet memories!  Baseball games and beach trips framed this decade!  The loss of my sweet fourth child reminded me again that life is painful, and sometimes you just have to rely on faith to get you through those painful times. 

Before I could turn around, the 40s rolled in with a huge surprise party, friends and fun!  My mid-life crisis arrived in the form of a career change!  Teaching took over as an important part of my life!  It was what I was meant to do – and I did it – even if it was a little late!  I lost weight.  I gained weight.  I lost it again, and unfortunately found it AGAIN!  Such is life in menopause!  I entered into the world of social media.  I post on facebook; I tweet; I blog!  Whooda thunk??  Jeff remains the love of my life, and I love him more now than I ever have!  My baby girl is now an adult, living on her own in a group home with more independence that I would have ever thought possible.  My red-haired little fella won a state baseball championship his senior year of high school, and is now working hard pursuing sports management in college!  (Go, Vols!) My little brown-eyed cowboy is now an aspiring country singer and songwriter, and is just amazing!  Peaks and valleys during this decade brought lots of laughter and floods of tears.  The temporary nature of life showed greatly during this time with the loss of my in-laws, aunts, uncles, and my sweet Mother.  For the first time in my life, my heart truly began to look toward eternity with a new freshness.  In reality, my life was half over, and death wasn’t nearly as scary as it had been in my youth.  I don’t necessarily want to go today, but I know one day I will.  And that’s okay.  That’s God’s plan for me.  This world really isn’t my home – I am just passing through.  Mr. and Mrs. Sweet, Aunt Barbara, Aunt Margaret, Uncle Larry, Granny, Poppa, Nanny, Uncle Herbert, Uncle Jim, Aunt Alta, Uncle L.T., Aunt Mildred, Jan, Guy, Ryan, Mother and Daddy and so many others -- are waiting for me!  And that’s a good thing!

So now, here come the 50s.  It’s automatic, and I can’t stop it!  I don’t know that I would, even if I could.  I don’t know what the future holds, but I do know that God holds my future.  If He’s in control, I’ll just sit back for the trip!  I’m thankful for the all the memories – good and bad – of these first fifty years.  Every wrinkle; every scar; every ache and pain – has made me who I am.

Happy birthday – to me!  I can honestly say I am happy!  I love life!  I love MY life!  I love ME!  I’m not perfect, and I’m not trying to be!  I’ve made many mistakes in those first 50 years.  Mistakes that hurt people; mistakes that hurt me; mistakes I cannot undo.  I’m sorry for those, and I’ve learned from them!  I’m sure I will make more mistakes, so I will apologize in advance! 

I’m not sure I’m ready for the next 50 years, but I better get ready!  In 50 more years, my kids really will be able to call me an ANTIQUE!  Well, let the fun begin!  





































Think 50 is gonna be NIFTY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment