Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff

Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff
My soul mate, Jeff, and Katie, Colton and Conner, the three gifts from God that call me "Mom"

Wednesday, December 29, 2021

A REMINDER OF GOD'S PLANNING

Again, this morning, God reminded me of how He has planned my life; how He has woven a remarkable web of life threads throughout it -- from the beginning.  

Due to many activities of the late 1960s, my parents chose to send me to David Lipscomb Elementary School in 1970.  I am a "Lipscomb Lifer," meaning I went all twelve years to school there -- grade 1 - grade 12.  I also continued my undergraduate education across the campus.  During my time at Lipscomb, I knew, but not well, a girl named Emily.  She was a year a head of me.  We were never close in school at all.  We had many mutual friends, but we just did not run in the same circles. 

Fast forward two (+) decades into the wonderful world of Facebook.  In about 2009, Emily and I reconnected over FB just about the time that she was losing her precious mom.  I had lost my own mother in 2006, so that became an instant bond.  Grief.  We exchanged numerous messages, and the friendship began to grow.  

Emily and her family were just about as nutty over country music as our family, and so we began making summer memories for several years at the CMA Fest.  All of our children were young, and I think Emily and I did plenty to embarrass them through the years.  (That's what moms are for!) During this time, I learned to love Emily's niece, Meredith.  Meredith is always the life of the party, and her family became like family to us.  

Over the past few years, we haven't gotten to see each other as often.  Our summer CMA festivals went on hiatus, children grew up and went to college, and life simply took us in different directions.  But . . . the foundation of those relationships is solid, and remains so.  

Yesterday, I got a call from Meredith.  It was so good to hear from her.  She was calling on a specific mission.  One of her good friends need information from the special needs arena.  A good friend of Meredith's and her husband have recently been thrust into a situation of caring for an adult sibling with special needs.  This occurred as the result of the death of her father in law.  Obviously, she was overwhelmed with where to turn, whom to talk to, and what to do.  Meredith said that she just knew I could help.  I asked Meredith to have her friend call me today.  

As a parent of an adult child with special needs, my heart broke for this young couple.  Jeff and I had years to plan for Katie's future.  So, I prayed.  I prayed for God to guide me with the right words.  I prayed for God to put on my heart the correct resources to give this sweet young woman.  I prayed His Spirit to give me wisdom and perspective. 

So, this morning, I was honored to have a long conversation with this young woman.  What a treasure.  She was so loving and concerned that she and her husband were going to do what was best for his sister.  Just in talking with her, I felt God in our midst.  

We exchanged a lot of information, including pictures of our special needs loved ones. THIS WAS THE KICKER.  This precious young woman with special needs was also classmate of Katie's in high school.  They are the same age, and they were really good buddies in school.   

Coincidence?  God does not cause coincidences.  He plans, and His plans are perfect.  I am again thankful for the reminder today.  




No comments:

Post a Comment