Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff

Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff
My soul mate, Jeff, and Katie, Colton and Conner, the three gifts from God that call me "Mom"

Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day -- Meanings and Memories

As we as a country celebrate this day, we all have different thoughts of what today really means.  Memorial Day is the unofficial holiday that kicks off summer!  Days of sunshine filled with laughter; weekends at the lake; lemonade stands on the corner; jars of lightning bugs at dusk.  Today is a day for hot dogs and ribs on the grill and relaxing with family and friends.

But in reality, Memorial Day has little to do with Kingsford Edge charcoal or mustard potato salad.  It has everything to do with sacrifice and selflessness.  It should serve as a reminder to all Americans that there was a price paid for our freedom, and there continues to be a price paid to keep it.

Memorial Day for me is a reminder of my father in law, E.L. Sweet.  He began serving in the Army at age 18, and he later re-enlisted for a second stint in the Air Force.  He felt that it was his duty to serve his country, and he did so with much pride.  He left for boot camp a young man full of life and vigor.  He returned a man changed forever.  He returned a man with memories that would haunt him for the next sixty years.  He returned a man proud of his country, but tortured by part of a bullet that could not be removed from his ankle.  He returned a man whose mental stability would be forever compromised by the things he had witnessed in war.  He remained a man who loved this country and everything for which it stood. 

I am reminded of my dad's cousin, who I affectionately called "Uncle T."  Uncle T served with General Patton and was wounded several times.  His mother died while he was overseas, but he continued to serve proudly through his grief.   I am proud of the two purple hearts his wife gave me after his death, and I cherish those as part of his memory. 

I am reminded of my Uncle Bobby who served in the Navy.  As a little girl, I didn't understand that he was serving in an important part of this country's history.  I remember how handsome I thought he looked in his white sailor uniform.  I loved all the brass buttons and medals on it!  I also loved the dolls he sent me from Vietnam, Korea and other parts of Asia.  Today, as I look at those same dolls, I know the important part he played there.

I am reminded of a sweet, little, curly-haired boy named Ryan.  His mother, Monika, is a dear friend, and I remember Ryan climbing in her lap as a toddler.   In recent years, Ryan served in this country's  conflicts fighting terror.  Ryan served us well.  He protected us from an unknown enemy.  Ryan's body now rests in Arlington, and all who loved him grieve the loss of a young man who was so full of life and possibilities.   Ryan loved this country, and now he rests with thousands of others who also paid the ultimate sacrifice for it. 

As this day comes to a close, I pray for the men and women who continue to serve for our freedom.  My freedom.  My children's freedom.  Your freedom.  I pray for their families, who also sacrifice for that freedom.  Freedom comes with a price.  For some it is the ultimate sacrifice of death.  For others, it is debilitating injury or psychological issues.  I am thankful for their willingness to serve for me. 

I also pray for God's blessings on our men and women in service; for their families; for their children; and for this county.

No comments:

Post a Comment