Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff

Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff
My soul mate, Jeff, and Katie, Colton and Conner, the three gifts from God that call me "Mom"

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Janelle -- One of a Kind!


I cannot recall the first time I met Janelle Ferguson.  It had to be over twenty years ago, but the exact moment is not etched in my memory.  What is forever etched in that memory though, is the amazing woman Janelle was!  From her exquisite taste for clothing to her impeccable decorating style to her unbelievable artistic ability, Janelle was the epitome of the regal Southern lady.

You always knew exactly where you stood with Janelle, and there was never a doubt that she would speak her mind on a number of subjects.  There were plenty of times when I dreaded what was coming.  "Darlene, have you put on a little weight?" or "Darlene, I really am not sure that outfit is working for you!"  But more times that others, Janelle was my cheerleader.  "Darlene, you look beautiful today!"  "Darlene, you sang so pretty today!"  "Darlene, I love you!"

For years, we sat with Janelle during worship at Madison.  It was "her" pew, but she gladly accepted her "extended family" of friends in her spot and in her life.  Sundays were filled with hugs and smiles, and Janelle's love for the Lord was so apparent.  I sometimes found myself watching her worship.  Dressed beautifully on the outside, and dressed beautifully on the inside.  A song flowing from her lips; a smile beaming from her face; a hand lifting up in praise; a child's heart reaching toward her Father.

Throughout the years, I have been honored to consider Janelle's daughter, Leanne, as one of my dearest friends.  I've often said that Leanne is "who I want to be when I grow up!"  Leanne has been my sister, my friend, and my rock for more years that I care to remember.  She is actually the person who encouraged me to become a teacher at the ripe old age of 44!  She has always believed in me, and I love her for that!  Leanne is the amazing, Godly woman that she is, because of the way she was raised by Janelle and Burt Ferguson.  What a legacy!  I was also honored to sing with Janelle's son, Roger, for many years.  A talented musician, singer and man of God, Roger is also a testamentary of the love and care of fine parents.  

Years and years of painting murals throughout the church house halls; hoards of costumes designed for Summer Spectaculars and other dramas; hours of conversations, laughter and tears;  so many good times, and so many good memories.  The most momentous costume ever was a set of angel wings made for Roger.  Janelle crafted beautiful feathery wings of white for an "angelic" Roger for an Easter drama.  Unfortunately, the first words out of my young Colton's mouth at the sight of angel Roger, was "he looks like a chicken!"  So, Roger became known, at least around our house, as the chicken angel! 

Several years ago, as Janelle's health began to fail, I asked her to paint a picture for our home.  Painstakingly, Janelle planned the colors, textures, and overall theme of the painting.  When I went to pick it up, it literally took my breath away.  She smiled, and she told me I would always have a part of her with me.  So true.  I have a constant reminder of Janelle every that I walk through our den.  I also have a constant reminder of Janelle with almost every thought today. 


Today, Janelle has laid down her burdens; her paint brush is no longer beautifying a blank canvas; her physical body is no longer alive; her laughter and her voice have been quieted; her constant motion has been stilled.

Today, Janelle is with the Lord.  Her soul is worshiping in another place.  Her spirit is with the angels.  Her journey is complete, and her race is won.  She is where we all yearn to be "one day."  But Janelle's "one day" was today.

There is sadness, and there is a void.  There is also a happiness and release in knowing that Janelle's ninety-two years were but a vapor in this life.  Her eternity began around 8 AM this morning.  I have no doubt that Janelle is touring Heaven and walking those golden streets.  I also have no doubt that she is already envisioning how her mansion can be re-decorated!

Janelle was one of a kind!  Never has been one like her, and never will be again.  Love to all the Ferguson family!  What a lady! 

No comments:

Post a Comment