Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff

Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff
My soul mate, Jeff, and Katie, Colton and Conner, the three gifts from God that call me "Mom"

Sunday, December 7, 2014

A New Holiday Perspective

This holiday has been hectic already!  With a brief stint in the hospital, I am beyond behind on getting things done.  Those who know me well, know that, by now, I'm usually way ahead of the game.  I have bargain hunted, and my list is complete.  Santa usually has nothing on me.  Well guess what?  I have yet to even wrap one package, and honestly, I have not even done very much shopping at all.  I currently have two trees up -- a far cry from my normal four or five.  I have no plans for hosting holiday gatherings or parties, other than our immediate little family.  I may or may not get the lights out on the front bushes, and I may or may not get everything done.  Again, those of you who know me well are probably wondering who this person is, and what has she done with the real Darlene.  

There is nothing I really need or want this Christmas.  Nothing.  Let me repeat -- nothing.  No clothes.  No jewelry.  No perfume.  Nothing.  Really.  Well, nothing, other than some time with my husband; my children; my family; and my friends.  Precious time just to sit and talk; remember and recollect; laugh and joke; watch movies or play some games; just be together.  No stress of trying to get everything done.  No worries about getting the perfect present.  Nothing.  Just being together. 

My daughter, Katie, has truly been the greatest teacher in my life.  Her simple, unassuming ways; her amazing smile; her stubborn refusal to give up; her unconditional love for anyone she meets (except her dentist while he cleans her teeth!)  Her life has been a blessing in our lives, and the lives of everyone who has ever known her. 

One of the highlights of our family's holiday season for the past ten years has been a holiday gathering hosted by Mrs. Elizabeth Cook.  Each year, Mrs. Cook, hosts a party for her son's former classmates in the special education program at Hunter's Lane High School.  She's been doing this for about twenty years, and the event has grown into a huge party of about two hundred guests.  These adults with special needs have an absolute blast, and their energy, laughter and love for one another is contagious.  Everyone has a great time!  The party is complete with a live D.J., dancing, food, gifts -- and this year -- Santa! 



As I watched the faces of these children -- now adults -- the magic was still there.  The excitement over Santa.  The joy over a small gift.  The happiness of just being together with old friends.  The smiles and laughter of just being together.  God's special children -- adult in body, but with the innocence and sweetness of children.  Joyful.  Happy.  Blessed. 

That's my new holiday perspective.  If I get the lights out, that will be fine.  If not, I'll save money on my electric bill.  It's really not that big of a deal.  If I find Jeff the perfect sweater, that will just be swell!  If not, he's got twenty more anyway!  If I get to spend time with my loved ones -- that's the real gift!  What a blessing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment