Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff

Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff
My soul mate, Jeff, and Katie, Colton and Conner, the three gifts from God that call me "Mom"

Sunday, January 10, 2016

See you, later, Nila

Tonight we honored an amazing woman.  Tonight we praised God for her life.  Tonight we loved on her sweet family.  Tonight many of us wore the color purple, her favorite.  Tonight we did not say goodbye.  Tonight we said -- "See you, later, Nila".

There will never be another Nila Sherrill.   Everyone has their "Nila Story," and many were tonight in remembrance.  But, last June, many were also shared personally with Nila.  The Madison women's ministry had chosen to have a celebration service in Nila's honor.  Several were asked to share stories about memories, friendships, and sisterhood.  I was not able to be at Madison that day, so I shared mine in a written note.  I'm so glad that I had this opportunity to share my thoughts -- and to give my thanks -- to this Godly woman.


My Nila Story



Recently, our youth minister at Donelson, had parents of seniors come up with one word that described our upcoming graduate.   I thought that was such a neat idea, and it really took some time to really come up with only one word to describe Conner.   In thinking of you, Nila, so many words could fit.  You probably have no idea what a blessing you have been in the lives of so many.  As well, you have always been such an encourager to so many, including myself.  You have been an example of a Christian wife to your beloved Jerry, and an amazing mother to my sweet friend, Lin.  You are so loved by your grandson, Zach, and he would beam this year in school each time we spoke of you – which was often. 


Again, so many years of fond memories, and so many words that could describe you, my sweet friend.  In really thinking back over the twenty years of our friendship though, the one word (although hyphenated) that comes to my mind would be “child-lover”.  As educators, we certainly have to love the children with whom we have contact – even on those trying days.  But you have loved generations of children in and out of the context of a school.  Children have been drawn to you because they know that you love and accept them.   They have also known that you have expectations and rules for them, that you expect them to follow. 


You have always made children feel so special.  I remember several years ago when you came and read a Christmas story for my class at Goodpasture.  Your creativity and imagination showed through, and the children were captivated. 


I remember you coming to me in 1998 or 1999, and asking me if Colton could be part of one of your Christmas programs at Madison.  Having been part of Summer Spectacular for many years, I was worried.  Colton was only four or so, and I knew how intense some of those practices could be.  I guess intense is the right description.  You could, honestly, be a little scary, at times.  We've all seen the "Nila look," and we all KNOW what that look means.   (Yes, we are both perfectionists, so I get it!  I can give those looks too!) 


At any rate, you assured me that he could do it, so we asked him.  I’ll always remember how he was immediately drawn to you, and fell in love with “Ms. Nila”.  He wanted to do his part right, and of course, he did!  You made that little boy feel like the most important person on the planet, and this mom has never forgotten that.  Neither has he.  Although he is now in Knoxville, he asks about you often.  I spent today looking through about fifty picture albums to find this treasure of you and him from the night of the play.  He made sure that he got the perfect corsage for "Ms. Nila". 

 



Thank you Nila, for loving children.  You have made such an impact on so many.



Love you dearly –



Darlene

No, there will never be another Nila Sherrill.  Nila loved people, and people loved her.  As her brother ended the service, he commented that Nila had accomplished "THE BIG TWO" in life.  What BIG TWO?  She had loved the Lord with all her heart, soul and mind, AND she had loved her neighbor -- all of us -- as herself.   What a lady!  What a legacy!  What a love!  See you later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment