Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff

Katie, Colton, Conner & Jeff
My soul mate, Jeff, and Katie, Colton and Conner, the three gifts from God that call me "Mom"

Monday, January 18, 2016

Today (A Mother's Perspective)


Last night, I dreaded for the night to end because I knew it was the last night my oldest son would be home – for a while.

Last night, I washed his clothes and helped him get his stuff together.

Last night, I packed a cooler and bag full of his favorite foods.

Last night, I fixed him a grilled cheese and bologna sandwich, because that’s been his favorite since he was a little boy.

Last night, we sat together, talked and laughed – again, just like we have since he was a little boy.

Last night, we binge watched the NetFlix series, Breaking Bad, that he got us hooked on over the holiday break.

Last night, I saw the same face of a little, red-haired boy, from the past, in the face of a tall, red- haired man sitting across the room from me.  


Last night, I said “good night,” and watched him go up the steps like so many times before.

Last night, I slept soundly, knowing he, and his younger brother, were both upstairs in their beds. 

Today, I got up and folded his laundry and packed away his stuff.

Today, I fixed him a hearty breakfast of bacon, eggs, and sausage crescents – because those are his favorites.

Today, I advised him on a political science response paper and his class schedule for the semester.

Today, I fought back the tears, as the morning passed, and it was time for him to leave.

Today, I remembered that I had given him roots, and I had also given him wings. 

Today, as he left, I hugged a grown man, but I held my little boy. 


Today, I sent a piece of my heart with him, as he headed back to school.

Today, I thanked God that He chose me to be that young man’s mother.


Today, I prayed for God to protect him and guide him, until he’s home again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment